There’s nothing like a nice cone of ice cream to make you feel refreshed on a summer evening.
While there are many vegan ice cream options on the market, they often contain questionable ingredients and don’t have the same satisfactory creaminess as regular ice cream.
That’s exactly why it’s worth taking the time to make your own ice cream at home.
Why Give Coconut a Try
Coconut perfectly mimics the creaminess of dairy but it also contains natural sugars that compliment vanilla.
This delicious food is full of healthy monounsaturated fats. Coconut is also filled with medium-chain fatty acids (MCTs), which can help boost metabolism and support weight loss.
Additionally, the milk also contains vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous (1,2,3).
Coconut oil’s anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antifungal, and antipyretic effects are also found in the milk, making it the ultimate healthy dessert food (4). It even contains lauric acid, which is converted in the body into an antibacterial and antiviral compound called monolaurin.
Coconut is also paleo, so a great option for many different diets.
Paleo Vegan Coconut Ice Cream
Prep time : 25 minutes
Cook time : 4 hours
- 1 14 oz. can full-fat coconut milk chilled overnight or coconut cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoon tapioca flour and water, mix well
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Unsweetened coconut flakes (per taste)
- Chill the a large mixing bowl and the coconut milk in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Whip the milk and other ingredients in the bowl for 5-10 minutes or until firm peaks appear in the cream.
- Pour the mixture into a lined freezer-safe container and cover with plastic wrap and foil.
- Freeze for 4 hours or longer.
- To serve, let the mixture thaw for 10 minutes, scoop, and enjoy.