1/4 cup vegetable oil (plus 2 tbsp)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 pinch salt
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan (grated (abt 2 oz))
1/2 cup Monterey Jack (grated (abt 2 oz))
1 cup onion (chopped)
10 oz bag fresh spinach (stemmed, rinsed, chopped)
2 tbsp garlic (chopped)
30 oz can artichoke hearts (drained and julienned)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Combine 1/4 cup of the vegetable oil and flour in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir the mixture constantly 5 to 6 minutes for a blond roux.
3. Whisk in the milk and bring the liquid up to a boil. Season the liquid with salt and cayenne. Simmer the liquid for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the liquid is thick and coats the back of a spoon. Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the cheeses. Set the sauce aside.
4. In a saute pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. When the oil is hot, add the onions and saute for 2 minutes.
5. Stir in handfuls of spinach at a time, until all the spinach is incorporated. Add the garlic and artichoke and saute for 2 minutes. Season the vegetables with salt and cayenne.
6. Remove the vegetables from the heat and turn into a mixing bowl. Fold the cheese sauce into the vegetables. Turn the mixture into a baking pan. Bake the dip for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.