Soaked, Flour-Free Oatmeal Pancakes
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup whey, yogurt, buttermilk, or water with a splash of vinegar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- coconut oil or butter for cooking
- The day before you wish to serve the pancakes for breakfast combine the oats, warm water, and whey in a medium-sized bowl (narrow seems to work better). Mix well, mashing the oats down into the liquid as much as possible. Leave in a warm place for 12-24 hours.
- In the morning preheat your skillet over a medium-low heat.
- Combine the eggs, baking powder, salt, and other flavorings in a small bowl. Pour the egg mixture into the oat mixture and stir to combine. It will be thick, unlike regular pancake batter.
- Allow your coconut oil or butter to melt in your warm skillet. For each pancake scoop a heaping tablespoon or two of batter into your skillet. Gently spread the batter until 1/16-1/8 inch thick.
- Allow to cook until the bottom has set and the edges and top begin to dry out, about 4-5 minutes. Flip and allow to cook another 3 minutes or so.
- Serve warm with butter, nut butter, jam, honey, or real maple syrup.